Warning Signs of Abuse
24 Hour Crisis Hotline: 706.736.2499
It is important to be aware of the warning signs of an abusive relationship early on, but many times, partners become invested in the relationship before they realize what has happened.
Perhaps this is because abusers are often described to have a "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide" personality. To people on the outside looking in, the abuser may appear to be very friendly and sociable, but the reality is much different.
Does your partner....
- Embarrass you with bad names or insults?
- Look at you or act in ways that scare you?
- Control what you do, where you go, or who you see and talk to?
- Prevent you from getting or keeping a job?
- Control all the money?
- Make all the decisions?
- Call you a bad parent or threaten to leave you, taking the children or pets?
- Threaten to harm your children or pets?
- Downplay, deny or blame abuse on you?
- Isolate you from friends and family?
- Intimidate you with weapons?
- Use physical force such as hitting, shoving, strangling, holding you or doing things against your will?
- Threaten to harm you or themselves if you leave the relationship?
If you answered "yes" to even just one of the above questions, you may be in an abusive relationship. Please call our 24 hour crisis hotline to speak with an advocate. It is your decision as to which steps you are ready to take, but a phone call to discuss your options, or create a safety plan that can be implemented when you are ready to leave is important. We realize that shelter is not needed for everyone, but we may still be able to assist you even if you do not come to stay at our shelter. All of our services are completely free and completely confidential. Your safety is our number one priority. Call us. WE CAN HELP!